It is the foundation of moving any group -- especially a diverse one -- in a unified direction. I can show you how to communicate so that those listening come to own the goal you're advocating.
Communication takes many forms -- public speaking to one-on-one conversation, facilitating or participating in a group, creating and distributing newsletters, webinars, videos, e-mails, texting, tweeting, all the way down to mailing an old fashioned letter.
Reputations are built with effective communications. They can also be destroyed with ineffective communications. Unfortunately, most organizations allow their public reputation to just happen without much management. Let me make sure yours has the proper direction and impact.
I analyze and design the content, structure, and especially the delivery of communications to achieve corporate objectives in good times as well as in times of challenge or crisis.
Don is an internationally-recognized communications executive with an
outstanding track record as a consultant and coach for world-class
companies and people in information technology, pharmaceutical, health,
consumer packaged goods, publishing, public service, and other
Don is often called upon to facilitate
groups, bringing people together to work toward a common goal regardless
of their individual agendas. He is known for producing memorable
meetings, events, and conferences.
Don has lectured and
given seminars, workshops and private coaching sessions to improve
speaking skills of executives, scientists, and sales people for groups
as diverse as pharmaceuticals and information technology to consumer
products and public services.
His Coaching extends to Business and Life Skills.
has also written, produced, and directed award-winning corporate video
productions, some of which helped market over a billion dollars in IPOs
and Limited Partnerships.
is a third term Councilperson in Doylestown, where he chairs the
Government & Community Affairs Committee and serves on Environment & Recreation, and Water Committees. Don
initiated and championed Doylestown’s anti-discrimination ordinance,
which extends protection to all people, regardless of gender identity
and sexual orientation in areas of employment, housing, and public
accommodations. This ordinance has served as a model to other
municipalities across Pennsylvania.
first term, Don created the Environmental Action Council - a group of
local Doylestown volunteer expert consultants who formulated a strategy
to save the Borough significant energy costs. Councilman Berk led the
effort to have Doylestown named a “Cool City.” This environmental honor
came with a $10,000 solar panel to offset the Borough’s energy costs.
Don’s leadership, Doylestown became the third Pennsylvania community to
be named “Bicycle Friendly,” a boon to tourism. He was honored by his
peers in 23 other boroughs across the county when they voted him
President of the Bucks County Boroughs Association.
a committed fund raiser for various causes and a ride leader with the
Central Bucks Bicycle Club. He also runs one of the largest "Rides of
Silence" in the East. Formerly Don was a nationally ranked squash player
and trained and assigned the referees when the US Squash Championships
were in New York City.
Don received his Bachelor of
Science Degree in Economics from Franklin & Marshall College and his
M.A. in Studio Art from New York University.
- Resource Speaker for Vistage International, the world?s leading CEO organization with 15,000 members
- Featured speaker on Communications at American Conference on Pharmacometrics (ACoP).
- As Communications & Training Lead at Bristol-Meyers Squibb, helped launch enterprise-wide implementation of Onyx, their contract management system. This succeeded after earlier failures.
- Lectured and trained technical groups within Bristol-Myers Squibb, Pfizer, UCB Pharma and Wyeth Research, both in the US and EU to present their data-heavy material effectively.
- As Director of Communications at Wyeth, established and implemented a communication strategy for their Agreement Management System, a new enterprise-wide initiative.
- As Communications Manager at Bristol-Myers Squibb,
helped successfully launch such major initiatives as SciX, which
promotes innovative methods to bring drugs from discovery to the market.
Also created meetings and led ongoing speaker coaching for their key
- Wrote, produced, and directed award-winning videos that successfully marketed over a billion dollars in IPOs and limited partnerships.
- Created and implemented initiative that increased Gartner?s annual CIO survey response rate 250%.
This was accomplished by creating a new mindset, explaining it to
clients, and then training account executives to communicate it
- Created and conducted ongoing speaker training programs for Gartner personnel in the United States, Europe, South America, and Australia, raising presentation marks by an average of 50%.
- Created Gartner?s
multimedia department. Inaugurated use of graphics, animation, and
video in CD/DVDs, Web-casts, and theatre, to package and market company
deliverables more successfully.
- Wrote ethics column and news for NYC periodicals.
Communications Solutions, Doylestown, PA (2003 - present)
Communications Consultant on
strategic solutions and speaker-training programs for high-tech,
pharmaceutical, and other top companies. Supervise and create effective
graphic support, e.g., as Communications Director at Wyeth and Manager
at Bristol-Myers Squibb, wrote communications from executives, wrote and
directed multimedia presentations, planned and ran off-site meetings,
and helped launch major initiatives. I have lectured and conducted
workshops for Wyeth, Pfizer, and UCB Pharma both in the US and the EU. I
currently coach senior executives at a variety of companies. I also
coached Doylestown?s Mayor and other local politicians to upset
victories, including my own win over incumbent council president.
Gartner, Stamford, CT (1995 - 2003)
Multimedia and Creative Director of
the leading information-technology research and advisory firm in the
world. Created Gartner?s first multimedia department; hired and
electronic visual support and set graphic standards for Gartner
presentations and reports. Inaugurated use of graphics, animation,
video, sound, and even live theatre, to make company products engaging
and entertaining. Before I arrived, the company?s world-class advice was
delivered via paper handouts. Sold concept to executives and trained
them to use these tools and incorporate new standards. Collaborated with
analysts in structure and look of research.
executives, analysts, and clients to deliver information with impact,
live and on camera ? including how to organize content, create visual
support, engage an audience, and handle Q&A with clients, press,
stockholders. Speaker scores improved an average of 50% after my
- Wrote, edited,
produced, directed, and marketed videos, interactive multimedia, and
other Web-based deliverables for both Gartner and Gartner clients,
creating a new ongoing revenue stream.
(prior to 1995)
Berk Productions, Stamford, CT
Mayfair Communications Inc., New York, NY
Founder, CEO, Producer, Writer, and Director of these communications companies.
Produced award-winning films, videos, and print pieces for corporate clients.
included IBM, Deloitte & Touche, GE, PepsiCo, Procter & Gamble,
Anheuser-Busch, M&M/Mars, Wrigley, Maclean Hunter Media,
GartnerGroup, PaineWebber, American Red Cross, GE Medical Systems,
AT&T, Burson-Marsteller, Young & Rubicam, US Army, Hearst
Publications, Amgen, Centocor, Genzyme, Clinique, and others.
creative strategies; wrote and edited proposals and scripts; produced
and directed video and print productions; oversaw editing; and handled
duplication and distribution.
timely national press coverage for IBM?s Total Quality Management
University Challenge by writing, directing, producing, and distributing a
video news release and that aired on local television stations around
- Other highlights
included producing a video for the Red Cross that successfully
encouraged people to donate blood during the early era of AIDS hysteria
and a video that E.F. Hutton used as its primary marketing tool for a
$97 million limited partnership, which sold out in one day. Later,
Hutton reused the piece to sell another $97 million just after the stock
market collapsed in 1987.
Doylestown, PA: As Councilperson,
created EAC and gained designation of ?Clean City? and ?Bike Friendly.
Championed Anti-discrimination ordinance to prohibit discrimination on
basis of gender identity and sexual orientation in employment, housing,
and public accommodation. This became the model for many other
Bucks County Sierra Club: As Political Chair, brought transparency & bipartisanship to endorsement process
(Metropolitan Squash Racquets Association) board member and part of
team that staged 1986 US Championships. As head referee, I recruited
and trained team of refs to officiate over 300 matches
- Telly Award, Public Relations, gartner.com: A Virtual Tour, Gartner
- Thanks for Making Us Shine Award, for upgrading the quality of conference graphics and media, speaker skills, and structure, Gartner Research
- Silver Award, Multimedia CD: Are You Selecting the Right Technology Vendor? GartnerGroup?s Decision Drivers
- Telly Award, Direct Marketing: 4Front ? Your Guide for the Future, Deloitte & Touche
- Telly Award, Sales: 4Front ? Your Guide for the Future, Deloitte & Touche
- Silver Award, Sales: 4Front ? Your Guide for the Future, Deloitte & Touche
- Cindy Award, Film/Video: 4Front ? Your Guide for the Future, Deloitte & Touche
- Women in Communications, Inc., Matrix Award of Merit: Supporting Innovation in Education, Deloitte & Touche
- Intercom, Certificate of Merit for Sales & Marketing, PaineWebber R&D Partners, PaineWebber
- Silver Screen Award, Public Service: What If It Wasn?t There? American Red Cross
- International Film and Video Festival, Certificate for Creative Excellence: American Screen Partners Limited Partnership, Merrill Lynch
- New York University: M.A. in Video, Painting, and Sculpture
- Franklin and Marshall College: B.S. in Economics
Borough Councilperson, Chair of Environment & Recreation and member
of Personnel, Water, and Community & Government Affairs committees
- Past President, Bucks County Boroughs Association
- Award Winner, 2012 Bucks County Sculpture Show
- Non-objective and Abstract Expressionist Painter showing in Bucks County galleries
- Founder and Leader of Doylestown?s Annual Ride of Silence
- Route Director, ArtCycle Tour de Bucks for the Michener Museum
- Run/Bike Director, Doylestown Kids Triathlon
- Fund Raiser for various charities and causes
- Ride Leader for Central Bucks Bicycle Club
- Red Cross Certified in CPR/First Aid
Don Berk +1 267 614 4200 [email protected]
am eager to be part of your important work - and your success. Please
tell me about your needs. Call or e-mail me, and I'll respond within a
day. If needed, I can pull like-minded professionals together to form a
team. Let's get started.